Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ragnar Las Vegas October 22-23, 2010

12 team members/friends, two vans, 30 straight hours of running between all... 195 miles total
So this is me on my 1st leg (6.4 miles)... SMILING and thinking, I got this, no sweat! After a couple BIG hills I was ready to be done with my first leg!


Moving on to my second leg.. It was a total of 3.1 miles in the dark, dark night. My biggest fear of running the Ragnar was running in the dark. I'm SO scared of the dark and I especially hate being alone in it. I was told oh no worries my team van would be able to stick with me along the whole way. YA RIGHT!! I begin my 2nd leg and probably 1/2 mile into it I am suddenly on this dark trail with a fence on one side and a wall with trees up agains it on the other side the only thing lighting it was my headlamp and what little moonlight there was.. I'm alone for a while and FREAKING out, running as fast as I can to get off the trail! The trail went on FOREVER it seemed! Soon a couple girls catch up with me (thank goodness!!) and we stuck together til the end of the trail and were on the road again with streetlights. Phew! That leg ended, and I survived!


By now its really starting to hit me, 15 hours into it.. im tired, feeling nautious, and my body is aching! Thankfully we got to go back to our hotel to get a few hours of sleep before starting our 3rd leg. I sure needed it, although when I woke up, a couple hours later, I was thinking to myself am I CRAZY, what was I thinking?! I'm tired, SO SORE, and I still have another 6.9 miles to go! AH! ha! So here we go again! On to the LAST exchange where we will start our 3rd leg! I was the 4th runner so I had a little bit of time to mentally prepare myself! Karen, Cindy, and Dana flew through their third leg and now it is my turn.... I get out there and off I go... 6.9 miles on a rocky dirt road. I was hurting and wanted to cry, but I kept telling myself "you can do this and once you do, you'll be done, COMPLETELY done!" My team was AWESOME, they cheered me on the whole way and kept me going!.....This is me after handing off the wristband to Hank. Not so smiley, tired, beat, and not wanting to take another step, but I actually felt GREAT! If that makes sense? I was DONE and I ran a total of 16.4 miles!All done! Can you tell, I'm ready to hit the sack?
This is half our team Van 1 at the 1st big exchange (Lake Mead)

This is van 1 and van 2 (the whole team except 1, Paula Flake, she took off right after). Celebrating our Ragnar Accomplishment with some good food! Well done team! Thanks for the fun experience!!
This is one of the many CRAZY team vans, nice huh. ha!


So that is my Ragnar story.... would I do it again? MOST DEFINITELY!!! Even if I was hurting, aching, and lost alot of sleep... It was one of the funnest things I've done!


4 comments:

  1. great job jena!! looks like you had a blast!! if you are ever up to doing another one i am in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a pretty big deal! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so rad! It makes me want to do it again. Maybe I'll get my big boota in shape and make myself do it! :) You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jena,

    Your blog is super cute, and I'm totally jealous of your running skills haha.

    www.markandjamiewalker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete